Edinburgh is well known for its festivals and notable art and sports events all-year-round. There are music, film, arts, performance, science, as well as comdies, concerts decorating the colourful Edinburgh life. The most active and busies (crowd) month in Edinburgh is August every year. Edinburgh International Festival and Fringe are running the whole month in August.
Moreover, Edinburgh’s world famous Hogmanay – You can join in the Torchlight March, New Year Eve street firework concert, and Christmas market & gala at Princes Street.
Please note: the following festival events may be cancelled or postponed due to COVID-19. Please check the latest notice from their official websites before you start planning your Edinburgh trip.
The following festival events are listed in time order. Hope you could find them useful.
- Rugby Union Six Nations Championship: Scotland Team plays 2 -3 home games at Murryfield Stadium. Definitely, it is one of the most important sports event for rugby fans. The latest update and info is at: https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/
- Edinburgh International Children’s Festival
- Edinburgh Marathon Festival: Although this sports events has been cancelled in 2021, join your Edinburgh’s Marathon in 2022 at: https://www.edinburghmarathon.com/
- Edinburgh Science Festival: This annual festival is one of Europe’s largest science education programme. Regardless adults or children, you will enjoy it. Check its programme at: https://www.sciencefestival.co.uk/festival
- Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival
- Edinburgh International Film Festival
- Royal Highland Show: it is the largest agricultural show in Scotland held annually in June. Unfortunately, the show in 2021 has been cancelled due to the COVID-19. Check the latest news at: https://www.royalhighlandshow.org/
- Edinburgh International Festival: This world famous festival lasts three weeks in August in Edinburgh. It presents you the finest performance and entertainments all over the Edinburgh City by artists and performancers from all over the world. During the festival, you can definitely find your favourite one. The full programme lists here: https://www.eif.co.uk/whats-on
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe: it is the worlds largest arts festival running along with Edinburgh International Festival. Unlike regular arts performance, the fringe venues come in all shapes and sizes, with use being made of nearly any viable space from theatres, churches, pubs and on the Royal Mile. It includes not only finest performances, but unique shows from all over the world. The performance details can be found at: https://www.edfringe.com/ or get a paper copy of Fringe programme index by asking for our staff.
- The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo: it is one of must-attend event in August in Edinburgh. The only suggestion for this performance is to book your ticket early to avoid disappointment. Book your tattoo ticket at: https://www.edintattoo.co.uk/tickets
- Edinburgh International Book Festival: This annual festival is becoming more and more popular. It covers a wide range of topics. You can meet your favourite authors. More information is at: https://www.edbookfest.co.uk/
- Edinburgh Art Festival
- Scottish International Storytelling Festival
- Edinburgh’s Hogmanay: Undoubtably, it is the most famous Edinburgh New Year’s celerbration which is running for three days. Based on my experience, you may book your accommodation early. Please check our room availability. And more information is at: https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/
- Torchlight Processing
- Edinburgh Christmas Market and Winter Festival